KES RESEARCH CENTRE is a non-profit research organization, founded in 2019 and registered at the Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation (UNIC: 1217026583). It is also duly registered with the Department of Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver as a private non-profit limited liability company (HE395935) based in Nicosia (Cyprus). It operates either autonomously or in co-operation with other entities, such as companies, research institutes, external researchers and academics.
Its main objectives are:
- The independent conduct of mainly applied research (industrial research or experimental development) and the wide dissemination of research results through teaching, publication or transfer of knowledge.
- The continuous promotion of research and innovation within the Republic of Cyprus.
- The participation of Cypriot researchers in international research activities and the cooperation of Cypriot researchers with researchers from other countries.
- The preparation and submission of research proposals for funding by Cypriot, European, International or other agencies and institutions.
- The dissemination of research results to the general public.
KES RESEARCH CENTRE is administrated by the Board of Directors (BoD) and supported by a Scientific Council and Scientific Committees that advise the BoD on matters of research policy/ strategy.
The BoD has appointed Dr. Dimitrios Sarris as Director of KES RESEARCH CENTRE.
Dr. Sarris is an Academic Scholar with +15 years research experience, participating in over 20 international and national research projects and has developed international collaborations with scientists from Switzerland, USA, France, Israel, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Cyprus and Greece. Publications of his research teams have a significant impact and are featured in leading scientific journals, with research findings having been presented in +30 primarily international conferences. He is also a reviewer for more than 10 international journals and has designed and supervised over 30 Thesis. Trained in Switzerland (Inst. of Botany, Univ. Basel) and Greece (Dept of Biology, Univ. of Patras) in Biology (BSc), in Ecology and Environmental Management (MSc) and in Dendro- Ecology/Climatology and Plant Science (PhD), he has been employed: (i) at the Dept of Biological Sciences of the Univ. of Cyprus (having held the positions of Assistant Professor-Academic Visitor and Special Scientist for Research & Lecturing), (ii) at the Open Univ. of Cyprus (as Academic Coordinator, Adjunct Faculty Tutor & Master’s Thesis Supervisor of the Environmental Conservation and Management Postgraduate Program), (iii) at the Dept of Life Sciences, European Univ. of Cyprus and (iv) at KES College in Cyprus (as Coordinator of the Environmental Management and of the Organic Products Technicians’ Programs). He has also worked at Academic Institutions in Greece and has Post Doc experience at the Inst. of Botany, Univ. Basel and at the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI, ETH-Zurich). He is an expert of the International Science Network MedECC, which supports, inter alia, the UN Environmental Program, and has served as Scientific Consultant for Scientific Documentaries (e.g. Άνυδρη Γη), for the University of Cyprus (Black Gold Strategic Program) on Sustainable Agroforestry and Organic Farming aiming to revitalize the carob industry of Cyprus («Μαύρος Χρυσός») and for the Association of Organic Farmers in Cyprus. He is also an Invited Member of the Editorial Board of Annals of Silvicultural Research.
KES RESEARCH CENTRE is involved, among other, in research on education, economy, exercise and nutrition, aesthetics, cosmetology, pharmacology, information, communication, environment, agriculture and related fields, aiming at improving the quality of life in Cyprus.
KES RESEARCH CENTRE, under a Memorandum of Understanding with KES College, allows students and academic staff of the College to participate in the research work carried out in the areas covered by the Research Centre, in conjunction with the College's Curricula, thus providing the opportunity to academics and students to gain research experience.
Indicatively, during its pilot operation, KES RESEARCH CENTRE has developed a research collaboration with:
- The Beauty Therapy Programs of the School of Health Studies at KES College and the Costas Papaellinas Organization (representative of the MAC Cosmetics Company in Cyprus) as part of a research project entitled: Investigating the identity and satisfaction of MAC Cosmetics customers in Cyprus based on professional Αesthetics and the general public.
- The Organic Products Technician Program of the School of Environmental Studies at KES College, the Association of Organic Farmers in Cyprus, the Institute for Inspection and Certification in Organic Farming “LACON” and the Chemical Analysis Lab “Food Lab” as part of a research project entitled: Investigation of food safety provided by organic and conventional Bananas cultivated and sold in Cyprus.
- The Culinary Arts Programs of the School of Culinary Arts, Hospitality and Tourism of KES College and Dr. P. Mitsis as part of a research project entitled: Wage differentiation between men and women in the food sector of Cyprus.
- The Culinary Arts Programs of the School of Culinary Arts, Hospitality and Tourism of KES College and the Black Gold Strategic Program of the University of Cyprus as part of the development of new alcoholic spirits and liqueurs from Cypriot carob fruits.